I cannot get over how amazing this recipe was. It was perfect over zucchini noodles, pasta style, and also perfect the next day on a bun for the best meatball sandwich lunch, ever. We ended up grated fresh parmesan over them when they were warm, and it was the perfect touch.
Ok, let’s get started. I used:
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey (hey, Aldi)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, diced
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
Here’s what I did:
- Combine turkey, salt, pepper, egg, panko, garlic, parsley and parmesan in a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Roll into meatballs and place aside.
- Heat oil in nonstick skillet.
- Add meatballs for 3 minutes. Turn, and let cook another 3 minutes.
- Add meatballs to slow cooker.
- Add onion to skillet. Cook 4-6 minutes.
- Top meatballs with onion, tomato, oregano. Cook on low for 3-5 hours.
What worked for me:
- I used a melon scooper to get the perfect amount of meat before rolling them into meatballs! They were all the same exact size, so they cooked perfectly.
- Our slow cooker gets really hot, so after 3 hours, I left them on warm until we served them for dinner!
Have you tried slow cooker meatballs? Do you enjoy swapping red meat for ground turkey? Let me know your thoughts!